[Wolves] I'm back..trying again.

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 10:04:18 BST 2005

On Saturday 02 July 2005 23:46, sean_spencer at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Here's an example. I launch OpenOffice Writer - I takes about 20 seconds
> before I can use it (either starting a new document, or by clicking on an
> already created Word document.)

Hi All

I missed this lovely thread so here are my thoughts;

Open Office has always been horrendously slow to open,

FC1=slow, FC2=slow, FC3=slow, FC4=slow, RHEL4=slow Suse=slow

I could go on but thats boring, its a pity as I really like oOo but to be
honest its such a pain in the arse I don't use it as much as I should.

On my Suse 9.3 box which is a P4 3GHz with 1GB of memory 30GB of free space
oOo is slow opening, they have a new database creating feature the first time
I ran it it froze up and still runs like a dog, from what I can see it eats
up the resources like a plague of locusts.

The final gripe is updates when released these are huge I think, if memory
serves me, the last one was 129MB!! pity the poor user on dial up.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing,