[Wolves] the old cruel core (again!!)

roundyz roundyz at hotpop.com
Mon Jul 4 22:39:44 BST 2005

On Monday 04 Jul 2005 22:01, wolves-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> > Fedora is quite cruel. Not the worst but it don't give up much features
> > without a fight. Once you have it working they way you want it, well it's
> > really rewarding.
>
> How/Why???

Well I mean to people who are used to m$. Well then again, no gui and the
whole of linux can be cruel. Config files in etc. like configuring a basic
ftp server (with security). NAT, also. don't work out of of the box. no gui
to set it up. They shitty system-config-packages gui <--- what was red hat
thinking? No dvd support. No hints on third party repos for yellow dog update
modifier commad. Having to configure the yum.conf  Just to get mp3 support.
An ugly boot screen..........OK maybe not this one.No browser plugins setup
when installed, flash java, etc. First time setting up java browser plugin
manually for someone who comes from an M$ environment I imagine would be
quite a task. My mother couldn't do it. to be honest it would take her 2
weeks with a step by step walkthrough...
oh and no compiling CUPS support for kde print.

thats how and why really. once you have gotten past these things lifeon fedora
is good.