[Wolves] Re: Peter's attack on my fedora gripes as a distribution.....

roundyz roundyz at hotpop.com
Tue Jul 5 14:53:28 BST 2005

On Tuesday 05 Jul 2005 12:15, wolves-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 July 2005 07:03, David Goodwin wrote:
> > > Well I mean to people who are used to m$. Well then again, no gui and
> > > the whole of linux can be cruel. Config files in etc. like configuring
> > > a basic ftp server (with security). NAT, also. don't work out of of the
> > > box. no gui to set it up. They shitty system-config-packages gui <---
> > > what was red hat thinking? No dvd support. No hints on third party
> > > repos for yellow dog update modifier commad. Having to configure the
> > > yum.conf Just to get mp3 support. An ugly boot screen..........OK maybe
> > > not this one.No browser plugins setup when installed, flash java, etc.
> >
> > I didn't realise windows came with these plugins installed?
>
> Touche, they don't!
No they don't you are right but installing them is easier for a fresh COMPUTER
USER to do on windows than on linux.

> I cant respond to the ftp or NAT bit as I don't use those on this laptop
> FC4, however it connects no problem with my Suse box which is a quasi
> server.
>
> No DVD support? um in that case why is there a DVD ISO? plus stuff like
> kaffine?

OK dvd video support.

> Third party repos? thats what Fedora Forum is there for, ask and ye shall
> receive.
Where would you ask if you was a fresh COMPUTER USER?

> Configuring yum is a piece of piss most of the repos have example .repo
> files you just create the file then cut and paste my 13yr olds can do it,
> failing that you can install yum extender (formerly yummi) this will give
>  you a GUI similar to synaptic adding repos via that is even easier.

13year olds. yerh I'm sure. I can name over five people in my family who
wouldn't be able to do it.One can't even hold the mouse and click at the same
time. 13 years old, yerh, Computers are very much a part of thier generation.
ask someone over 40, or 50.only computers they had growing up till the 80's
was a watch.No cut and paste on that.

> You can install apt and synaptic the apt repos are thin on the ground at
> the moment but thats to be expected FC4 has only been out 4 odd weeks now.

Yerh yerh I know this.

> > > First time setting up java browser plugin
> > > manually
note the MANUALLY, not clicking on the jigsaw part.(the jigsaw install has
never worked for me either, ever)

> > > for someone who comes from an M$ environment I imagine would
> > > be quite a task. My mother couldn't do it. to be honest it would take
> > > her 2 weeks with a step by step walkthrough...
> > > oh and no compiling CUPS support for kde print.
>
> Java plugin? what a load of old twaddle under firefox installation is just
> the same as Windows, when you visit a site that has java on it you'll get a
> cream sort of coloured line with a green jigsaw piece and instruction to
> click here to install plugin! Doh! click on it and it will install just
> like Windows does it.

See UP.

> Why did you have to compile CUPS? there is a GUI OK I admit in a work
> environment its a bit tricky as you need to know the printer and what its
> shared as plus the server its on but if I can do it anyone can.

I never did, but red hat are know to do this as they favour gnome, its a
common problem, honest.

> I take it you didn't read my other mail? see on the one hand your listing
> phantom issues in defense of newbies and thats good but your looking and
> doing stuff from a confirmed Windows user point of view.

These arnt phantom issues they are real. They are just gripes with fedora
distros. We all got gripes.

> IMHO ALL Linux distro's should have a big notice on them saying;
> "If you know anything at all about Windows that stuff ain't gonna work
> here" I know that statement isn't strictly true but it would help no end of
> people. Time and time again I've seen Widows Experts crash and burn when it
> comes to Linux its not because they don't know what they are doing its
> because they forget Linux is essentially different yet they try to apply
> the same strategy that they use under Windows.

I know this too...as do many people on here.

> All of this reply is my personal thoughts its not an attack on you I just
> wanted to set the record straight.

Dude my orinal post was about issues with fedora, about how as its distributed
ain't so friendly. I damn sure hope this wasn't an attack on me....I wouldn't
be too pleased. There also ain't no record to be set straight as all my
points are valid and true.

> :-)
I second the smiley and peace to you.

BTW.....I aint a new user. I been using red hat since 5.2 (i still have the
book that came with it!!).