[Wolves] doing something useful with a G4

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Wed Jul 6 09:14:08 BST 2005

> Are there any other firewall type distros that
> install on a Mac?
> Particularly one that I could control remotely.
>
> Any general suggestions for good distros that
> install on a Mac?

Take a look at
http://penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php
(all G4s are 32bit "New World" Macs)

I've used Ubuntu,Yellow Dog, and Debian on my iBook
and they all installed pretty easily.

As for a firewall, well any distro can be used as a
firewall if you're prepared to put some effort into it
or you could go for something a bit more exotic like
OpenBSD which is very targetted towards security and
firewall type activities, remote admin is possible via
ssh (Openssh, the normal version on linux was
originally written for OpenBSD).

Of course if you're feeling adventurous you could go
for Darwin which is interesting and fun to play with
but probably not the best choice for 'production' use.

chris