[Wolves] [Adam's failure to boot]

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Wed Jul 6 18:38:56 BST 2005

>     2. Ad - busy as fook. Trying to rebuild my machine
> and work out why it won't boot from via_sata
> controller (post forthcoming if I can't fix it).

You sure :

a) BIOS is set to boot from SCSI (put second option as hd0 just incase)

b) GRUB/LILO is installed on the MBR (i.e. /dev/sda) of the disk.

c) The disk is plugged in etc (!)

If you're having problems ensuring grub is installed, boot off a live
CD, mount your SATA disk (e.g. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1), chroot to
/mnt/sda1 (chroot /mnt/sda1), check the grub config
(/boot/grub/menu.lst), and then try reinstalling grub (grub-install).

d) If it's Debian based, you may need to make sure the initrd image
contains the relevant modules. If not edit /etc/modules, and re-run
mkinitrd.

Notes:
- 1) if using Grub, you can edit it's config at the boot splash
  selection screen (press 'e').
- 2) Grub has tab completion.
- 3) sometimes some distros (esp. Debian) put /boot on it's own little
  partition for no useful reason (all computers since the stone age can
  boot from large hard disks).

Slightly helpful, I hope. But probably not.

thanks
David.
--
David Goodwin