[Wolves] Re: Roundyz secret identity?

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Jul 7 20:58:40 BST 2005

> I've been worried about the 'initiation ceremony'. I would have hated it
> when I was young. I propose that the request to stand up is dropped. For
> those of us uncomfortable with public speaking that makes things ten
> times worse. Come again; you are only asked to do that once.

The whole point of "standing up" is so everyone in the room has a chance
to say hello, possibly learn your name and at least possibly stick a
name to a face. Unfortunately people don't tend to move around during an
evening (from one chair to another).

I do think a LUG meeting can be hard for new members to feel comfortable at,
and feel like they are part of something (and not being ignored in the
corner). This is especially the case as some members (Jono/Aq/Ade/Kat
etc [+]) can be quite loud etc.

As we discussed last night, part of the problem is the seating
arrangements in the Standard - in that new people often end up sitting
in a corner or on their own on a small table, as the encumbants have
nabbed/"reserved" the best seats.

David.

+ - I'm only loud when I'm drinking beer, at which point you'll all hear Kat
telling me off for shouting.

--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.co.uk