[Wolves] RAID on Linux

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Fri Jul 8 08:04:43 BST 2005

Stuart Langridge wrote :
> They're talking about putting in some Linux at work, and they'd be
> using RAID. Is it now reasonable for them to just go and buy whatever
> RAID controllers they would normally choose, or is it still important
> to be picky about the ones you pick because Linux doesn't support them
> all? (I'm not looking for recommendations on the basis of technical
> excellence here; I just want to know "don't buy Yoyodyne RAID
> controllers because Linux doesn't have drivers".)

I'd say use two high end SATA drives, with an onboard controller
(avoiding the PCI bus I hope) and use Software Raid.

Most low end RAID controllers are software based, and all the card
does is provide the interface to two extra hard disks.

As far as I know Adaptec are a good bet.

David.
--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.co.uk