[Wolves] vanishing e-mail - MTA

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 14:41:39 BST 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 14:07, Rob Annable wrote:

> My e-mail is disappearing. After about 12 hours of not receiving a
> single mail I started to get suspicious. Today I've tested it by
> sending a mail from my gmail account to my main account. It shows up
> when I visit the webmail portal in my browser, then later it
> disappears when I revisit.
>
> Something, somewhere is pulling down my mail.
>
> Is it possible that the mail transfer agent settings in YaST in SuSE
> is doing it? I have a machine switched on at home that I've just set
> up with SuSE/KDE. All I've done so far is install it and fiddled with
> a few network settings. I filled in a few boxes in the Mail Transfer
> Agent without being entirely sure what I was doing. My understanding
> was that it simply held the info and something like fetchmail has to
> be invoked to actually query the account - is this correct? Or is it
> periodically checking my inbox and fetching my mail?

What email client are you using?

I can only speak from KMail experience, have you selected;

Check mail at ** intervals?
Have you selected "Leave mail on server"?

When you send and receive from the Suse box either by manual means or
automatically are the mails comming down to your inbox? (or custom folder if
you created one)?

If you have told the Suse box to fetch mails then thats what it will do so
there wont be any mails on your ISP mailserver.

Obviously if lets say you've told KMail? to fetch mails every half hour and
you happen to look at your account via a web portal you will indeed see a
mail then it will disappear if Kmail is pulling it down.

You probably know all this so please feel free to hurl abuse at me.

To be honest I'm a little mystified what your problem is any chance you can
send it again in crayon you know how dim I am ;-)

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing,