[Wolves] dynamic dns

roundyz roundyz at hotpop.com
Fri Jul 8 22:24:42 BST 2005

Hello all,

Thanks for your help with the mouse issue, found more on the issue on google
it's all cleared up now.

I have purchased a domain name as I want to host my own mail server for myself
and my family and some misc website along the pipline. But it's mostly for my
mail server and my ftp.
My ftp server is setup and works fine. I have tested it with the current IP.I
have a dynamic IP and are unable to get a static one. I've heard about
dynamic dns but was wondering wether or not it would benefit me. I am new to
hosting and would like some advise.

Goal= ftp://mydomainname.com  as opposed to ftp://someramdomIPaddy.com
and of course anyfamilymembername at mydomain.com for e-mail.

How would I go about this? I have read before that there is a program that
sends the current IP to the dns server and they allocate it to your domain
name....is this true? There isn't much help in the Wiley Fedora for people
ith dynamic IPs wishing to host.

Tobe honestIunderstand it with static IPs as you fill in the info when you buy
the domain. Te user types in the domain name and that is check with the dns
server who in turn redirects them to my server.

I'm quite confused.

Matt