[Wolves] dynamic dns

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 22:39:24 BST 2005

--- roundyz <roundyz at hotpop.com> wrote:

> I have purchased a domain name as I want to host my
> own mail server for myself
> and my family and some misc website along the
> pipline. But it's mostly for my
> mail server and my ftp.
> My ftp server is setup and works fine. I have tested
> it with the current IP.I
> have a dynamic IP and are unable to get a static
> one. I've heard about
> dynamic dns but was wondering wether or not it would
> benefit me. I am new to
> hosting and would like some advise.
>
> Goal= ftp://mydomainname.com  as opposed to
> ftp://someramdomIPaddy.com
> and of course anyfamilymembername at mydomain.com for
> e-mail.
>
> How would I go about this? I have read before that
> there is a program that
> sends the current IP to the dns server and they
> allocate it to your domain
> name....is this true? There isn't much help in the
> Wiley Fedora for people
> ith dynamic IPs wishing to host.

There are clients for a number of operating systems,
http://www.dyndns.org has a list and also does the
kind of service you are looking for. Alternatively,
smoothwall has a built in client, configuraable via
its web interface.

> Tobe honestIunderstand it with static IPs as you
> fill in the info when you buy
> the domain. Te user types in the domain name and
> that is check with the dns
> server who in turn redirects them to my server.

You fill in your details at dyndns.org or another
service and it justs responds to DNS lookups with your
most recent IP address. The client will update the
dynamic dns service with your new IP address every
time it changes. You have to be careful though because
dyndns threaten to shut down your account if you don't
update every 30 days or so, so you have to do a manual
update (press the button on a smoothwall).

> I'm quite confused.

I use dyndns on a static IP address and I get mail and
web no problem. The only difference with a dynamic IP
is that you need a client to update their servers. The
DNS servers for you domain doesn't change, just the IP
address that they return. End users attempting to
access your site shouldn't see any difference.

Hope all is clear :)

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk