[Wolves] RAID on Linux

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 17:53:08 BST 2005

On Friday 08 Jul 2005 08:11, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> > I'd say use two high end SATA drives, with an onboard controller
> > (avoiding the PCI bus I hope) and use Software Raid.
>
> I don't get to decide how they build hardware. Nothing to do with me,
> that. I will get to say "don't use RAID controller N because it won't
> work", but not "you should do it this way instead". They don't tell me
> how to design apps and I don't tell them how to build servers. :)

Well they'd look a bit stupid building a Linux server and buying a RAID
controller that wasn't compatible with Linux. :)

Past successes:

 - LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c895 dual-channel SCSI controller
   Software RAID - kernel module: sym53c8xx

 - Dual-channel AMI Megaraid (inc. versions badged as HP NetRAID and Storage
   Dimensions DGR RAIDcard)
   Hardware RAID - kernel module: megaraid

 - Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI controller
   Only tried individual discs, but software RAID possible
   kernel module: aic7xxx

 - Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 Host Controller
   Appears as standard dual-channel IDE controller but also has a RAID
   function, which I've not used with Linux.

I don't have any specific recommendations as to makes/models to avoid.

Regards,

James