[Wolves] Tiscali and Linux

Baza baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 14:29:31 BST 2005

>>> Hi
>>> Anyone has any experience of using Tiscali broadband
>>> with Linux. I am asking as one of our friends wants to
>>> go on Linux but they are on Tiscali broadband at the
>>> moment. Also Any suggestions of boradband modems the
>>> will work with Linux just in case I hit problems with
>>> their current modem (I don't know what it is yet).
>>>

>> There are quite a few BB modems supported under SuSE Linux.  It's
>> probably best to check out one of the many hardware compatibility
>> websites though.  Sorry, I used to have a list of them - not
>> exhaustive - but seem to have lost them (????) Try a Google search...
>>
>> I would have thought, though, that a modem router might be the best
>> way to go as they are almost inevitably going to work under Linux.
>> That said, I had a BT Voyager 205 that came with my Plus Net
>> package -
>> I actually asked for a USB modem but I'm not complaining - the USB
>> side didn't work with Linux but the ethernet side works a treat
>> :-)))))  But, I have since swapped it with a D-Link 504 II 4 port
>> modem/router/switch/firewall.  It works fantastically and means I can
>> share the connection between my two (at present) PC's.  I can of
>> course add a switch at a later date if I wanted to add more PC's
>> to my
>> home network.
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>>

> Of course I was assuming a standard BT phone line connection :-))))
>
> I do know that the cheap and very common Alcatel 'frog' modem seems to
> work under most flavours of Linux and it's a USB modem.
>
> Still better with a router though as it doesn't grab any CPU power
> like a USB one 'usually' does.

I would agree, getting a cheap router, like the Belkin 54g, makes
life easy with any broad band. You can spend weeks faffing about
trying to get modems such as the, 'Speed Touch' USB working; but why
stress it when all the router/modem combinations I've played with
were, 'plug and play' under linux?

Baza