[Wolves] Serial terminal

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 16:30:28 BST 2005

Hi all

I've been set a challenge. We have a load of Fedora
Core 3 and 4 servers at work with RJ45s on the front
for console redirection and a little cable to connect
it to a serial port.

We're running out of KVM switches and I've been asked
to set up serial cable connections to the machines.
How easy is this? I know I can use minicom or seyon
from a linux machine, telix from DOS or hyperterminal
from Windows etc.

I've been looking at the following:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO.html

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO.html

but they're a bit heavyweight for me right now and I
can't pick out the information I need to make some
moves in the right direction.

Can anyone tell me what parameters I need to know
(apart from the outgoing serial port on the server -
ttyS1), what files I need to edit and recommednations
for a terminal emulator
(minicom/telix/hyperterminal/seyon etc.

Sorry if this is an RTFM moment, but I'm puzzled and I
know some of you grizzled old hacks have been doing
this for years.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk