[Wolves] Firewalls

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 23:06:58 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>I am led to believe that a hardware firewall is better than a software
>one.  But, that it is better still to have both hardware and software
>running together.  Is that correct?  What is the difference between a
>hardware and software firewall?  Other than the obvious that a
>hardware one is a solid box.  It still has software running it.

I think whether the medium that the software is stored on is writable is
the main issue. You want to be able to update but yoiu don't want anyone
else to. I've been talking to a colleague today who built a FW from a
mini-ATX board with three net ports on the motherboard and ran ipcop
from a protected memory card. He couldn't find the board in Google today
though. I've heard  of other people storing the config on a CD but in
both cases you then need another system where you can write the media..

Woo