[Wolves] Tiscali and Linux

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 20:46:02 BST 2005

--- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Folk
>
> I need some help with this.
>
> I have installed SuSE 9.2 ok but I can't get the
> modem or the printer to work.
>
> My friends have a SAGEM F at st 800E2T modem on
> broadband, and Canon PIXMA iP1500 printer.
>
> I can't get the modem to connect. YAST is not
> detecting it. I tried the DSL option from YAST but
> it
> seems that it does not want to talk to it. Any
> suggestions?

Hey Mo

Try this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=919196

Theres lots of discussion and most people I think
finished with a working connection I think. Doesn't
sound an easy task though.

> The printer listed by YAST correctly, ie as iP1500
> but
> it does not work. I did a bit of googling and found
> that it is not "supported", however I did find a
> post
> from someone who it seems has built an rpm for it,
> do
> I just install the rpm and hope for the best?

I think this:

http://www.lowlevel.cz/log/pivot/entry.php?id=40

might be what you found. If not you should take a look
at it. Also look at the Ubuntu link on that page. From
what I can tell, you might be able to install the rpm,
people report it to work, but you migth have to
symlink some of the libraries, as I believe SuSE puts
its libraries in different places to red hat.

If you need to do this, you can run the necessary
commands to instruct the printer to do it's worst and
then watch the output for what files can't be found.
Then as root issue the command

updatedb

which will make a database of all of the files on the
system. You can then use the locate command to find
the missing files and create a symlink (ln -s command,
read the man page if you get stuck) to the file where
the driver expects to find it's files.

There is also a proprietary turboprint driver which
adds a watermark to the printer output unless you pay
£30 or something.

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

See how you get on and come back on the details if you
get stuck.

On any ex-Windows Linux machine the sticking points
are commonly the modem (USB ADSL modems often require
firmware and it's hard to set up the various bits like
pppoa etc and softmodems), the printer (Canon and
Lexmark are poor for Linux support), onboard sound
(AC97s are often fussy) and 3d graphics cards,
particularly new ones and non NVidia or ATI - you can
get output just not 3d acceleration.

It's a good idea to google about the modem, sound and
graphics and check http://www.linuxprinting.org/ for
the printer in advance.

You must have the gift of the gab when it comes to
talking people into trying Linux, everyone you get
within 50 yards of seems to move over.

Keep on rockin you crazy horse ;)

Ad

--