[Wolves] GPL discussion/thing

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Fri Jul 22 14:02:36 BST 2005

Hi all,

 From previous LUG meetings, I have occasionally heard the argument that
if software is licensed under the GPL _anyone_ has a right to gain
access to the source code. I didn't believe this to be the case, and
after a bit of searching came up with the links below.

Links :

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCCompanyGPLCostsMoney

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CanIDemandACopy

As I read the above :

You can only demand to have the source code if someone has distributed
the binary version to you. In other words, anyone who makes
modifications to a GPL'ed piece of software is under no obligation to
release their changes to the public, unless they release the binary form
to the public.

*yawn TFIF*

David.
--