[Wolves] GPL discussion/thing

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 16:41:49 BST 2005

On 22/07/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  From previous LUG meetings, I have occasionally heard the argument that
> if software is licensed under the GPL _anyone_ has a right to gain
> access to the source code. I didn't believe this to be the case, and
> after a bit of searching came up with the links below.
>

> Links :
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCCompanyGPLCostsMoney
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CanIDemandACopy
>

> As I read the above :
>
> You can only demand to have the source code if someone has distributed
> the binary version to you. In other words, anyone who makes
> modifications to a GPL'ed piece of software is under no obligation to
> release their changes to the public, unless they release the binary form
> to the public.
>

> *yawn TFIF*

I've always read it pretty much that way too, David.  I'm never likely
to be in the position of releasing software (I cannot code for the
life of me).  In a nutshell, if software is GPL'd then if it is
released to the public the code must be made available - not
neccessarily distributed with it - upon request.  This source code can
be altered in anyway and used internally within a company freely but
it doesn't have to be released to the general public.  Again, if the
altered software is released the first ruling applies.  I'm not sure
on this next bit but I think it against the license to sell altered
software if it is derived from GPL'd code and is thus made up of it.
--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street