Digital Cameras (was Re: [Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 96, Issue 14)

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 23:29:19 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>On 22/07/05, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>--- roundyz <roundyz at hotpop.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all thanks for the responce, I have taken a shine
>>>to the cannon EOS 350D, just gonna go look at it this afternoon.
>>>

>>I don't know about Canon cameras but their printers... Make sure you can use it with Linux.

My camera is the £10 one I suggested to David and Kat recently for a dog
cam. Both my kids however have very nice 5M Pixel cameras.They've never
used either with linux so the connection information is only theoretical.

There is no one camera that suits everyone. Decide what you want it to
do. My kids will both be on art(ish) degrees from September. I got very
keen on photography about 25 years ago until I realised I had no talent
and my wife always got better shots with her automatic.

My kids are technophobes so I made the decisions. I thought that they
would need artistic control so they should be able to choose shutter
speed and/or aperture and do selective metering. So far this was a
complete waste of money since the cameras have only been used on
programmed or automatic and neither of them seem interested in learning
more about photography. The features that have been used are: cancelling
flash (for better concerts pictures), video recording, holding focus and
light metering then moving the camera (or the camera might have been
fooled by the thing in the centre of the frame). My son found the Pentax
too small. They both prefer their own. I can see the virtues of both and
would find a decision for myself really difficult. I hope this helps you
decide what is important to you.

Pentax 5Si - presents itself as a USB drive.

Advantages - tiny (my daughter carried it down the leg of her suede
boots when she went out earlier in the year), metal case - strong,
battery and charger included, remembers when the flash has been turned
off when power is turned off. I like the SD memory card format and they
are cheap.
Disadvantage - tiny so hard to hold, display is exposed so needs a case,
needs special rechargeable batteries

Canon PowerShot A95 - one of several Canon cameras supported by gPhoto2.

Advantages - bigger so easy to hold and grip with bigger hands. Shaped
so feels safer in one hand, the display swivels so you can take pictures
with it held above your head or see yourself in a self-portrait. More
controls are physical rather than electronic so feels more like a
traditional camera. Some controls are quicker. Fairly cheap memory cards.
Disadvantage - too big for a shirt pocket so you are less likely to take
it everywhere. Charger seperate and extra cost. The Canon charger is
very expensive and I don't think the electrons can read the badge.
Memory cards look easier to damage when out of the camera.
'Features' - resets flash cancelling when turned off. Is it more
important to you to avoid  underexposed shots or blinding performers
when you are forgetful?
Light for size because made of plastic - so possibly weaker.

There seems a delay with both these cameras. If you press the button
when you see a facial expression then it may have changed before it gets
to memory. I don't understand this because the shutter speed is the
same. Do any of you hardware guys know if the memory have to be readied
to accept the image?

Boots would transfer quite a few rolls of film to CDs for the price of
one of these cameras if you can wait for a couple of hours. Shooting is
free on a digital camera though so you tend to take many more shots but
print fewer.

Woo