[Wolves] OT: IT career advice

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 21:31:39 BST 2005

Paul Harrison wrote:

>I'm looking for a bit of advice, please.
>
>I have been working part-time as a school teacher on a temporary
>contract, but that came to an end yesterday.
>
>I'm pretty keen on working in IT in some capacity.  I know more than
>the average user (though, as Aq would say, this might be a
>"taller-than-Ronnie-Corbett competition").  Having worked in education
>for some years, it makes sense to be involved in IT training
>eventually, or to go back into teaching eventually.  I certainly feel
>it's time for a change, and to get some further training and
>experience under my belt.
>
>(WARNING: SOME WOLVESLUG MEMBERS MAY FIND THE NEXT PARAGRAPH DISTURBING)
>
>I've been contacting some of the firms that advertise in the Evening
>Mail re IT training.  I have interviews with three lined up, and
>already have had one with Advent, based in Hagley.  Today I have had a
>letter from them, offering an option of...wait for it...training to
>MCSE status.

I think you'll find they are offering to sell you that training. If not
then the government are paying. I would find that a disturbing use of
the tax I pay.

>Sorry, had to say it.
>
>Ideally I would like to be involved in open source IT work, but this
>may be difficult/impossible from a standing start.

It's easier (i.e. cheaper) to get involved but not to get an income.

>I rather get the
>impression that it is hard to get away from Microsoft, whatever befall.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. The current shortages are
information security, Microsoft .Net programming and Linux system
administration

>I don't actually know anyone working in IT, so I thought I would ask
>you good people:
>
>* What might a mid-30s teacher have to offer in the IT sector?

Teaching ability. Very few IT trainers know how to teach. Most IT
courses don't require much IT knowledge.

>* Despite what we might think about Mr Gates, is MCSE a good means to
>getting into the industry?

MCSE and all the others are a good way of working into poorly paid jobs
on Microsoft systems. The experience you get in those jobs with the MCSE
might get you a much better job. Someone will have to pay to keep
renewing the rental on your MCSE.

>* What other avenues might I explore in terms of advice on
>qualifications, training or employment?

Tricky without knowing more. What did you teach and to what age range?
Do you have a degree? If so, what subject.
How much Linux do you know? - Can you program, set up systems,
networks.... ?

Some options:
the quick way - local technical colleges, Open University, part time
university courses.
the hard way - books, magazines and doing it. Linux makes this option
much cheaper.

There are Linux qualifications but the managers of companies that use
Unix are often capable of judging for themselves whether you are
competent. That is often not true in Microsoft shops. They depend on the
Microsoft memory tests to determine professional competency.

You should go to your nearest LUG and meet some IT people. That should
put you off ;-)

Woo