[Wolves] Fedora and apt

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Tue Jul 26 12:14:38 BST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 18:05 +0100, Wayne Morris wrote:
> >>Use apt-get install apache,mysql,php  (not correct syntax, but thats
> >>the
> >>principle.
>
> Red Hat /Fedora doesn't like it, I had Apache working for months
> before
> I added php and mysql and only way I could get them all to talk was to
> install them all as one (after removing them all).
>
> Likewise if you install from scratch with the Fedora GUI and forget to
> add mysql support, you have to remove and install.
>
> Theres probably a MUCH easier way but I don't know it! ;-0

Can't you escape this RPM induced madness by using yum?

I haven't used Red Hat or Fedora for a little while but I have some
customers who do. apt-for-rpm is a 3rd party hack - has yum improved
anything much?

RPM simply isn't a package dependancy solution.. it's a packaging
format. I think a lot of the problems with Red Hat is that there seems
to be a smaller number of official packages so people hunt around for
3rd party ones with unknown consequences.

There is no way you should *have* to remove components and then install
them altogether.

Viva la debian!

~sm