[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 89, Issue 3

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 09:25:58 BST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 16:57, roundyz wrote:

> it's easy to read the words "look on Google you lazy shit" than to wade
> through forums for hours. Some of us have lives outside of our computers
> and sometimes our computers drop to low priority when other issues are
> concerned. I mean its just a scanner right??? So what am i saying?

Ah, your missing the one factor that makes up the male Psyche, we don't like
to be beaten especially by a machine!

So when something doesn't work some gene in our brains activate which forces
us to work at a problem for hours and hours to sort it out the fact that its
unimportant is irrelevant a bit like my sound problem, did it really affect
the functionality? no it didn't, do I really need a catchy tune to play when
the system starts, Na course not, but all the same it was eating away at me.

> Id ask rather than look. that why its better to be taught something in a
> class room than to teach yourself. ( as long as you offer both methods the
> same enthusiasm)

In the archives you'll find a thread very similar to this, so to reiterate;

"Catch a fish for a man and he eats for a day. Show him how to fish and he
eats for life!"

I.e.

"Catch a fish for a man and he eats for a day".
Give him the answer and he's sorted very quickly but guaranteed he'll be back
before the day is out because he didn't learn he just did as he was told.

"Show him how to fish and he eats for life!"
Give him the guidance of how to do it and it will sink in!! so he will have
laid a foundation to build on.

When I first started out I'd ask "How do I do this or that" 20-30 times a day
until everyone got pissed off with me.

like we saw a couple of weeks ago it descended into slanging matches because I
couldn't accept the *Cruel to be kind* theory I just thought everyone was
being "How dare you muscle in on our club" when in fact they were teaching me
to be self reliant.

Theres no problem with asking questions or even how do you do this? where the
problem lies is when a question is asked and its painfully obvious no attempt
at self help is being made.

I'm not sure about classroom learning although I reckon some sort of group
session would be good, its a pity there isn't a sort of virtual classroom
like they advertise on those IBM adds but I suppose it would be chargeable
and cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone fancy setting one up? it could be limited to Wolves-LUG members only.

Or failing that only the Inner circle members -LOL

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk