[Wolves] Apple moving to Intel?

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Fri Jun 10 18:44:12 BST 2005

> Building embedded CPUs teaches the likes of IBM and
> Freescale how to
> handle heat and power issues properly -

By making them slooow :-)

MHz aren't everything of course, but lets face it
neither IBM or Freescale really gave a damn about the
desktop, really nice processors, but all the wrong
compromises for what Apple Marketing needed to compete
with Wintel.

> One thing this whole thing did make me
> wonder was what would
> happen if Intel turned around and *bought* Apple
> outright.

Its too early to tell but Apple give Intel a
manufacture that isn't tied to legacy designs (except
the x86 ISA) so they may care more then it seems. I do
think an Intel/Apple merger/buyout is interesting,
intel get an OS they can tie to their latest greatest
patended tech then give to oems for free, oems get out
of paying for their OS, consumers like it because they
get a very iuser friendly os, windows stranglehold is
broken, AMD takes a beating, and making Intel
mountains of cash as the only hardware supplier.

Apple get to beat MS and could even keep their iPod
business and go their own merry way into consumer
electronics.

> >> and now they've decided they want to start
> >>producing cheap whitebox trash
>
> > I doubt it will be whitebox trash
>
> It will.

Let me rephrase, it will be as far from whitebox trash
that it is possible to be while using x86, the boxes
will be brushed metal or something.

> I hope they keep OpenFirmware

No. "Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors
do not use Open Firmware"
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/

> > I cant really explain why the ppc is so important
>
> I can. I like writing code on ppc.

I've never written ppc assembler, done a bit of x86
stuff though. Still undergoing therapy.

> Darwin is pretty tasty, but it wasn't their
> own creation.

It was part of the NeXT deal along with all the
engineers who wrote, and who have been working on it
for the last 10 years so its as near to their own
creation as anyones, and they didn't have to
opensource it (BSD license and all that)

>> changed the way they work with webkit to sort out
the
>> problems they had with the khtml team

>I don't think that they *really* care, but yes, that
>was quite nice.

So better at open source then some (MS for example),
but yes, definately worse then many as well.

Oh well, rumours of a Cell workstation,
http://genesi.pegasosppc.com, and the hope for a
better future will just have to sustain us untill the
world comes to its senses.

chris