[Wolves] DHCP

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Sat Jun 18 18:53:46 BST 2005

> Theres obviously a bit more to it than just hooking up a network cable and
> logging on to the network, about the only thing I can do at the moment is use
> the NFS share I set up. I've not tried SSH etc, etc.

Hello Mr Turpin,

You'll need to do something like :

1) Set your "server" up with a masquerading/NAT firewall.
(I assume you have a single public IP on your dial up connection, or
what ever it is, and have a private network within your house)

2) Configure DHCP to send out a router setting, set to the IP address of
your server

3) Configure DHCP to send a name server setting, this should probably be
your ISPs DNS server (the simplest approach)

3a) You'll know if the DHCP server is setup correctly as when a client
gets an IP address (e.g. just after boot up), /etc/resolv.conf will have
entries, route -vn will show your gateway machine, and /sbin/ifconfig will
show that the client has an IP address etc etc.

4) From the client PC, try to access something like google.com (E.g.
ping google.com)

5) Profit!

If you _really_ need a script which does the iptables NAT/Masquerading
stuff, let me know. I strongly suspect that SuSE may have an inbuilt
config panel thing for it, or SuSE has one of the many firewall
generation tools (e.g. FireStarter) bundled in.

Have fun,

David.

--
David Goodwin