[Wolves] Objects, process modelling architectures, UML and Agile methods

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 22:00:44 BST 2005

David Goodwin wrote:

>> I have no idea about tools.  I like dia, but haven't used it for
>> anything serious, but I
>> also know people who think it should be spelled differently (i.e. dire)
>
> <snip>
>
> that was because he was using the crap/old version that shipped with
> RH9, or the fonts were totally broken (can't remember which now).
>
> David.

Thanks, Goodwins. I thought Dia would be a good option but it doesn't
save as XMI. I'd like the models I create to be portable between tools
but the only free (I don't have a budget) one I can find is Umbrello and
development has stopped. Portable between 1 tool doesn't seem much of an
advantage.

There seem some nice tools for creating databases from Dia. Apparently,
UML is executable in principle. I like the idea of sketching a program.

I'm fairly set on the idea of using UML. The process maps I'm creating
are destined for an intranet as a record of business processes.  I'm
considering an A4 white board and a scanner if I can't find anything
better. Powerpoint is much better.

My book arrived today. There are only 7 pages on activity diagrams so it
must be easy :-).

Woo