[Wolves] Parallel to USB?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 23:39:20 GMT 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>Is it possible to use a convertor cable to hook up a USB printer to a
>parallel port on a Pc or print server?  I've seen it done the other
>way around but USB is faster than parallel and I'm wondering if it
>would choke?  Any ideas?

It sounds expensive because you need buffering and flow control and to
chop the bytes up and glue them into a bit string. If it is costly then
you may as well get an Ethernet to USB print server that all your
machines can use.

USB being faster would be a good thing. When I first started playing
with Linux one of the favourite ways of installing was with a boot
floppy and a parallel port Ethernet adapter. Are you sure about the
relative speed?

Woo