[Wolves] Linux Display

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 09:31:32 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 08:57, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> >> wet old clothes. What about a 'visitors book' with a
> >> space for an email
> >> address if they'd like to know more? Or would people
> >> get spammed?
>
> If spammers have broadened their address harvesting techniques from
> searching the web to going to libraries and writing down addresses that
> they find on a piece of paper, we've already lost...

Not to give any secrets away getting email addresses is dead easy.

Kelly's Directory is the best although not cheap £300 odd you get a disk that
lets you export 5000 records there is a way to get the lot but I'm not
telling.

Thomson Local is second but very poor on email addresses there are others such
as G-Tech but they are just copy's of Thomson.

Kelly's give you the golden nugget in respect that they have websites and
email addresses in the records.

Now before we all jump on the Spam crusade we need to take a step back and
think about it like sensible adults. I agree there is loads of Spam out there
but its not as simple as the knee jerk reaction I see on a daily basis, its
dead easy to say "Your spamming me you bast$£%@d".

I'm not defending Spamming!

One mans Spam is another mans advertising I had a guy ring Monday to say your
spamming me then in the next breath "Having said that I'm interested in the
Laptop your offering" he then went on to buy it. Hes not the first or the
last, so its a tough call is it spamming or is it advertising? I don't see
anyone phoning Central Television and complaining about the adverts and they
are just the same I don't want to see 'Buy this jumbo pack of sanitary
towels' so am I being spammed by the TV? I think I am.

Anyway getting back to the point most business victims of spam have themselves
to blame they stick their details in Kelly's Directory, Thomsons Local,
Yellow Pages, Websites in fact all over the place in the hope of 'getting a
sale' then complain when someone tries to sell to them by joining the spam
crusade and crying "I'm being spammed Mr BT".

Simple solution you don't want junk mail? don't advertise your address!

I await the wrath of the lords of Syth ;-)

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk