[Wolves] ubuntu modem set up

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 14:04:01 GMT 2005

 --- "Kevan Farmer" wrote:

> As for Ubuntu.  I've finally got it installed on a
> PC WAHEY!!!!!!!
> But how on earth do I set up my modem????  I've gone
> through the help
> pages and I cannot find any reference to it.  It
> also seems to be
> stuck in 600x480 resolution despite stating only
> 800x600 and above res in the set up.

Be sure to start a new thread when you start talking
about a new topic. I didn't see this at all until the
new thread started by Martin, I don't have time to
read all the mail on the list these days.

CTRL-ALT-<numeric keypad plus key> will cycle you
through the available resolutions, just to be sure
800x600 is available.

You may have to hack your XF86config to set 800x600 as
default. Use bash filename autocompletion (use the tab
key) to be sure of getting the right file, I'm not in
Linux at the moment.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/XF86config-4

(I think thats the file, if it's not it just won't be
there) it's pretty self explanatory once you're in
there. Just look for the section where it says which
modes are available and which is the default.

Interesting point is that gedit makes a copy of every
file you alter and adds a ~ symbol to the end of the
filename, so if you make your X environment unusable,
you will be able to restore the original config file
will a few quicks flicks of the mv command (search the
mailing list archives for the explanation of vim I
gave you a few weeks ago if you can't remember).

As for the modem, you should be able to set it up
using the network set up tool, on the Computer >
Hardware Settings menu item I think. If that doesn't
work, search the Ubuntu Wiki or await Mr Kelly's kind
explanation later on. I'm on bb these days so I have
no experience of setting up a dial up connection under
Ubuntu.

As a general point, *all* of the questions I've had
about Ubuntu (errors, packages, proprietary software
such as Flash etc) have been on the Wiki, the forums
or otherwise linked from the Ubuntu website.

Enjoy the goodness ;)

Ad

=====
--