[Wolves] ubuntu modem set up

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 01:48:45 GMT 2005

 --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  --- "Kevan Farmer" wrote:
> > >
> > > As for Ubuntu.  I've finally got it installed on
> > > PC WAHEY!!!!!!!
> > > But how on earth do I set up my modem????  I've
> gone
> > > through the help
> > > pages and I cannot find any reference to it.  It
> > > also seems to be
> > > stuck in 600x480 resolution despite stating only
> > > 800x600 and above res in the set up.
> >
> > Be sure to start a new thread when you start
> talking
> > about a new topic. I didn't see this at all until
> the
> > new thread started by Martin, I don't have time to
> > read all the mail on the list these days.
>
> Sorry about that. I was just so excited at actually
> getting Ubuntu installed at last.

Understandable. When posting, think from the point of
view of someone who gets a lot of mail (I'm not
talking about me specifically ;). People use the
subject to determine if they can help when filtering a
lot of mail. I like many others don't follow the ends
of threads when they digress these days, I used to
read everything and I will again, but I just don't
have time these days. I don't mean to give you a hard
time, but it means what you ask might get missed
completely by people that can help.

> > Interesting point is that gedit makes a copy of
> > every file you alter and adds a ~ symbol to the
end > > of the filename

As do many other editors. So don't do this on a
webserver in the htdocs directory with a file that
contains a username and password (like many PHP CMSes
and blogs do), as although the blog/CMS whatever will
block the viewing of the original, the copy with ~ on
the end will be world readable. Heh, I'm commenting
myself...

> It is the Warty Wartyhog alpha release after all.

I know you found out it's your modem not Ubuntu now,
but I thought I'd point out that Warty isn't an alpha
release, it's a final release. Admittedly, it's a
first release and there is an oft thought theory that
x.0 releases are dodgy (Mandrake springs to mind), but
Ubuntu really is a good system, the best I've used in
fact (out of about 17), I'm surprised you've had so
many problems.

There was a pre-release of Warty, maybe this is where
the confusion was, or maybe it was the reputedly dodgy
live CDs that gave you that impression. Hoary is the
development version due to to become the next stable
release in April or so. I hear it's going to be great.

It would be interesting to see what extras are in
there that aren't in Warty. Personally I'd like to see
an X config tool, so you don't have to fiddle with the
config file if it goes wrong, an xDSL tool added to
the network setup and a services control tool/runlevel
editor. Admittedly, there is hardly anything running
by default, so maybe theres no need but I think pretty
much everyone adds stuff from universe like PHP, MySQL
and Apache. And Apache depends on a working email
server apparently...

I waffle...

Ad

=====