[Wolves] Debian install gone horribly wrong :(

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 19:24:51 GMT 2005

--- scared at geneforensic.mine.nu wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm looking for a way out of a very deep hole that
> opened beneath me last
> night.....
>
> I have just setup a Smoothwall based web-share
> accross a friends house.
> Everything was fine until I discovered a WinXp Home
> machine incapable of
> reading the network.  We played with all the
> variables we could think of
> and eventually I convinced him of how cool Linux is
> and how given all the
> troubles we may as well dual boot the harddrive with
> Debian.
>
> Enter the problems......
>
> The base system install process completes without
> mishap, however once the
> CD has been ejected and the machine reboots, it is
> being reported that no
> boot disk is installed and the system hangs.
>
> Yes I have checked all connections.
>
> I presumed this meant the motherboard recognises the
> MBR as being
> infected, however deactivating the BIOS virus
> protection has not (as in
> similar past occurances with other hardware)
> alleviated the situation.
> Neither has using WinXp install to reformat the
> entire drive in NTFS and
> then reinstalling windows only.
>
> Can anybody please suggest a nice way to test this
> hardware and ideally
> get it off my hands before i go truly insane???

It's not something daft like setting the BIOS to boot
from the CD than the HD for the installation and not
including any option to boot from the hard disk at all
in the boot devices?

Furher advice forthcoming if this is not the case. But
basically follow these threads if you need to wipe
your mbr.

To wipe/restore a Windows NT/2k/XP mbr:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2004-November/010932.html
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2004-November/010971.html