[Wolves] Installed Programs and SuSE 9.2 Pro

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 23:56:13 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 22:11, Tim Humpherson wrote:
> Guys,
>
> The explanation that you all outlined in this topic is now fully
> understood.  I now know what YOU does.

Tim baby, don't get upset, don't think everyone hates you!!!

I know exactley where you are comming from.

Its not personnel, its like when you own a dog, a few smacks on the nose with
a newspaper and it learns not to crap on the carpet.

Your learning and thats good, you want to to know everything NOW!!!

I understand that.

When I first joined this list I was like you but worse I nearly got banned!!!

> I have to admit, I "thought" that Y.O.U. would keep the packages
> uptodate as well as patches.  Obviously I am wrong in that respect and
> I thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

You're wrong and right, 'YOU' keeps what you've GOT up-to date it doesn't
install new stuff.

> I have a spare HDD readily formatted, and will install various Linux
> Distros.  I now have FOUR HDDS...  XP (sic), SuSE 9.2 Pro, FC3 and one
> spare.  Hmmm, I'll have a go with Debian-derived Ubuntu.  I like to
> try and learn all things different.  It is difficult to pick which one
> I would stick as they are are excellent, indeed.  Eg. SuSE is
> excellent with USB detection, and so on....

No. stop!! you're setting youreself up for another fall.

Stick with Suse (Thats a supposed, stable, distro) pick one other and only
'ONE MORE': Fedora, Knoppix, Ubantu, Blah, Blah, Blah.

Use the Freebie: Fedora, Blah, Blah for learning, testing, devil may care but
use it with the attitude "If it f&*$s up it doesn't matter, keep the Suse as
your main stay. That way you have a main system/distro that is OK. ( Or which
ever main one you choose).

I run Fedora: because I want to learn and I can nick my works Broadband. some
of what I learn on Fedora migrates to Suse but not all.

I run Suse because I wanted a 'Pay for' distro. Suse does stuff very, very
different to other distro's so you need to think things through before you
apply what you think you know from say Ubantu to Suse.

Yes I run Debian on VMware but thats for an exam I'd like to take.

When you came to my house I showed you the array of books I have purchased,
thats why I post very few 'How do I do' posts

When I first got into this Linux stuff I wanted it all now! but I've learnt
'less is more'

I have now unsubscribe from the Fedora list because I have learnt if I have a
problem I can look on the archives.

We all want to help. but we want you to help yourself first.

End of second lecture :D

--
Regards
Peter Cannon