[Wolves] Debian install gone horribly wrong :(

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 15:53:22 GMT 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:40:56 +0000, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:

I do believe you told me that too :-)))  To elaborate with what I
found out myself...   When the drive leaves the factory it has a
designated size.  The drive might well have started out as say an 80gb
drive.  But in testing some of the sectors were found to be faulty.
The next applicable drive size would be perhaps a 40gb drive.  This
could well mean leaving 10 perfectly good sectors in reserve.
Normally, the drive manufacturers own disk software will use these
spare sectors to repair a faulty drive.  Sort of bring them into play
if you like while at the same time marking the faulty ones as not to
be used.   A low level format can screw all this up.  But, if you have
gone through all the other options then you don't really have anything
to lose.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer