[Wolves] web graphics question

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sun Mar 13 18:36:59 GMT 2005

Matt Warwick wrote:

>On Sunday 13 Mar 2005 08:45, Mo Awkati wrote:
>

>I use transparent PNGs on my blog which don't work correctly in IE, but
>there is a piece of jscript you can add to the header in your site which
>should make IE render them correctly.

adding a couple of k to every request for html on your site is a nasty
gludge and should burn in hell.  Just because ie is broken doesn't mean
you should slow down your site for everyone else.  Bugger ie, eventully
people will get the message.

HTML is a standard, PNG is a standard and CSS is a standard.  If MS
can't support their clients you shouldn't do it for them.

offering kludges to work around browser features is a return to the bad
old days (1997 is the year normally quoted) with best viewed in buttons
and hundreds of competing html versions attempting to bully themselves
into the standards.  Don't do it, it's not big, it's not clever and it
supports broken browsers instead of letting users discover their faults.

sparkes