[Wolves] Ubuntu mysterious restarts

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:49:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:44:19 +0000, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:

> > Curious.  I ran memtest86 just a month ago with no errors.  This time,
> > it threw up a whole string of them straight away.
> >
> > I've pulled out the offending memory stick & replaced it.  A brief run
> > of memtest86 (only to about 7%) revealed no errors.
> >
> > Is this stick on its way out, or getting too hot??  I've removed the
> > side of the PC to see if that will help.
> >
> > Thanks for pointing out the obvious David, I hadn't thought to try as
> > it seemed unlikely.
>
> I've not known memory to fail (wear out)... but it could be that perhaps
> it was damaged (e.g. you've moved / removed it, and given it a static
> shock). Or of course, overheating.....
>
> David.
>
> --
> David Goodwin
> w: http://www.clocksoft.com
> e: david.goodwin at clocksoft.com
> t: 0121 313 3850
>
> See http://www.PayThyme.com for an Open Source UK Payroll
>
> intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)

Is memtest freeware?  I've got a mate who I'm pretty usre has a dodgy
memroy module.  Briefly he has 2 256mb modules that are fine on thier
own.  His PC - it's running M$ I'm afraid - will not start properly
with both in place.  I've done all the other checks and I reckon one
module is faulty.  So, where can he get memtest?  Please :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street