[Wolves] Canon printers and Linux

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:51:15 GMT 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:23:18 +0000, Andy Wootton
<andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:02:50 +0000, Tim Humpherson
> ><tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Will the new Canon Bubble Jet i865 work under Linux?
> >>
> >>I have seen the reviews and none seems to mention that it will work
> >>under Linux.  I understand that if there isn't one, a generic printer
> >>driver is usually the norm to use, but I prefer PROPER driver for that
> >>specific printer.
> >>
> >>Anyone out there know the answer to this one?
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Tim
> >>

> >Canon do not support Linux.  Full stop.  It's always left to the Open
> >Source community to come up with drivers for Canon products.  So, I
> >would say go for the company that does support Linux natively.  The
> >companies like Canon might just get the message then ;-)
> >

> I agree with Kevan. Support the good guys.
>
> 'My' Canon - isn't. It was bought by the "I just want an ordinary
> computer like everyone else" half of the family, for use with a camera
> that didn't work with Linux either. It was only later that I discovered
> on't Net that the BJC-7000 driver works with the i560, should you have
> already made your bed.
>
> Woo

Along those thought you would think that the LiDE 30 or 35 drivers
would work with the LiDE 50 scanner.... Sadly they don't :-(((  But,
there is a guy who does development work for the SANE project who is
working on a LiDE 50 driver for Linux.  Had I have known it was not
compatible I would have bought something else and I told Canon that in
an e-mail.  I also told them that I will never buy Canon products
again until they do start to support Linux.  I don't dispute that the
products are very good but why do they restrict the market?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street