[Wolves] Odd memory module problem

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 11:01:55 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 Mar 2005 10:46, Kevanf1 wrote:
*snip*
> of course there is a BIOS restriction.  Sorry, that thought has just
> popped into my head....

Apologies if I sound like I'm teaching ppl to suck eggs!

From the sounds of it this kit is quite old (PC133).  First port of call is to
check the MBoard specs/design.  If it's possible find out the manufacturer
and model - then go check their web site for the manuals.  It's more than
likely that a BIOS upgrade is needed.  Also it's a good idea to check the
'timings' that are being set in BIOS against those for the memory modules
being used.

It is possible that at an engineering level, due to the age of the board, it
might not recognise memory modules larger than 256.  But this is unlikely.

A final thought, where fitting the two modules is concerned.  Is the memory
being fitted into the correct slots?  I remember that for certain
boards/memory it had to be fitted in pairs and they had to be in the right
slots in order for it to work.  Again, reference to the Mboard manual is the
way to go here.

I realise this may not have contributed much and apologise if it's just added
noise.
--
Regards,

Pete Evans