[Wolves] Canon printers and Linux

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 15:23:10 GMT 2005

Peter Cannon wrote:

>On Sunday 20 March 2005 11:56, Jayne Heger wrote:
>

>>We may have been even further ahead in computing than we are now, I
>>think the trouble with a monopoly is you are reliant on it and it
>>alone for ideas, new innovations, and in Computing that is very, very
>>bad.
>>But yes, that is a very good debate!
>>

>I've just looked up the definition of 'Debate' in my Collins dictionary;
>"A debate is an exchange of opposing views by two or more individuals"
>
>I've watched this thread for the last couple of days, I've not seen any
>defence of Microsoft or good old Bill just the usual drumhead court.
>
>Just wondering by what definition this is classed as a debate?
>
>I for one would have been happier if this thread had highlighted printers that
>'worked' under Linux rather than descending, as usual, into the "Its all evil
>Bills fault that my printer wont work under an OS that is only 14 years old
>and is completely different to the system that my printer was made for"
>
>Try sticking diesel in your unleaded car then complaing to Ford or Rover that
>their car is crap because it wont run on what you want rather that what it
>was built for!
>
>"That should warm things up a bit" :D

I think Jayne's comment about debate was in response to Kevan's
suggestion to debate whether the world is a better place post-Microsoft;
to be held elsewhere (unspecified.)

You won't get much of a defence for Microsoft-only printers here because
the position is indefensible. Using the excuse of lowering hardware
costs, Microsoft and the collaborating printer manufacturers have
created a hardware standard to support their software monopoly. There
was a perfectly good de facto standard in Adobe PostScript but Microsoft
didn't control it. Adobe make an interesting contrast with Microsoft.
They have a history of defining open standards as a result of their R&D
and relying on the quality of their software to see off the competition.
Obviously Microsoft don't have that option available.

Woo