[Wolves] Linspire has killed my Ubuntu

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Mar 24 14:27:56 GMT 2005

MatthewRevell.3247378 at bloglines.com wrote:
> I'm reviewing Linspire 5.0, at the moment, for LugRadio.
>
> I installed it
> over my old Windows 98 partition, which sat alongside my Ubuntu partition.
> Linspire installed its own boot manager, which included Ubuntu in its menu,
> alongside Linspire. No probs, I thought.
>
> Last night, I tried to boot Ubuntu
> and was given a corrupted text mode screen, with the message, "Fatal error"
> and something else I couldn't read, due to weird stuff on the screen.
>
> Does
> anyone know how I can get my beautiful Ubuntu back, without wiping the disk
> and starting again?

Are you able to view/read the Ubuntu partition from e.g. a livecd or
not? If you could, then you should be able to just do something like :

[boot from live cd]
[become root]
mount /dev/hdaN /mnt/hdaN [where N is the / partition for ubuntu]
chroot /mnt/hdaN
grub-install (can't remember if this needs arguments, might be /dev/hda)

[reboot]

(But this would probably stop you from being able to boot Linspire until
you edit Ubuntu's grub config).

Good luck,

David.

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)