[Wolves] Linspire has killed my Ubuntu

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:55:57 GMT 2005

On 24 Mar 2005 15:47:36 -0000, MatthewRevell.3247378 at bloglines.com
<MatthewRevell.3247378 at bloglines.com> wrote:
> Aq wrote:
>
> > Boot from the Ubuntu live CD.
>
> Cheers, I'll d/l the Ubuntu
> live CD when I get home.
>
> My experience with Linspire hasn't been all bad,
> but that and a couple of other things certainly have been major pains.

I think most people's gripes with Linspire stems from the fact that
they use proprietary software as standard.  To be honest, I think if
it shows people what Linux can be like then it has a place.  What we
tend to forget is that not everybody wants to spend hours tweaking
this and that on their PC.  They just want to sit down and type a
letter or read their e-mail.  Linspire lets them do this.  Yes, I know
other distros do.  But take Ubuntu for example, how many PC illiterate
people could actually get online straight away with it?  Very few I
suspect.  It took me some searching to find out how to get the modem
set up - USR exteranl 56k Fax modem, quite standard - because I
couldn't find anything in the help files.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street