[Wolves] Suse 9.3

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 21:52:36 GMT 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 20:46, Adam Sweet wrote:

> Wow, it was only christmas time I was meeting you in
> the freezing cold to give you my 9.2 box set.

Sign of a true Linux devotee, not only do we contend with poor hardware
support but trudge through snow drifts, torrential rain and sub zero
temperatures to supply people who have a Linux addiction :-)

> Four months is a remarkably quick turn around, a
> little too quick for some home customers I feel (yes I
> know you can download it free these days). How much is
> box set? £60ish? I think £120 in little over 4 months
> is a lot for anyone and may make people think twice
> about keeping Windows that bit longer as XP at least
> is here to stay for another 2 years or so.

I still haven't found out/looked at whats going to be in it I was mooching
around on the KDE sight the other day I think (correct me if I'm wrong) there
is a KDE 3.4 release maybe thats going to be in it although that would be a
break from tradition with Suse as they generally wait some time after a
release to include new stuff in their release.

I'm willing to bet that the reason for the early release is two fold;
I reckon theres going to be some Novell stuff in there, also I presume Novell
want to get the 27p they paid for Suse back very quickly :D

> Ahh thats bollocks actually, people are either
> interested in Linux or they aren't. I doubt that there
> are that many floating voters to be honest, our quest
> is to enlighten the ignorant and assist those that are
> prepared to step over the line.

Contrary to my Windows advocacy latley my personal view is distributions like
Suse, Red Hat and Mandrake will defiantly walk the same path as Microsoft I
don't mean their business practices what I mean is people will buy it/down
load it because they think they must have it.

Remember all the posts when 9.2 came out? all the Suse users, including me,
complained "This don't work and it used to under 9.1" so it begs the question
if 9.1 was working fine why did most of us install 9.2 ?

> It would be interesting to see what strides have been
> made in that 4 months anyway. I know SuSE are pretty
> hot on removable media devices and connectivity
> (firewire, USB etc) right now, there must surely be
> more to this release than version number chasing.

True, I will probably install it if only to see if I can get bloody sound I've
exhausted every fix I can find! in actual fact Suse (the OS) is telling me
everything is Hunky Dory and that as far as its concerned;
"Your listening to it you moron" but in actual fact its as dead as a dodo.
Don't you just hate it when an machine thinks its smarter than you?

"Dave? Dave? what are you doing Dave?"
"Its OK HAL everything is fine"

--
Regards