[Wolves] Linspire has killed my Ubuntu

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 22:12:36 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:54:15 +0000 (GMT), Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But take Ubuntu for example, how
> > many PC illiterate
> > people could actually get online straight away with
> > it?  Very few I
> > suspect.  It took me some searching to find out how
> > to get the modem
> > set up - USR exteranl 56k Fax modem, quite standard
> > - because I
> > couldn't find anything in the help files.
>
> Ahh don't mistake the documentation in Ubuntu for
> Ubuntu documentation, it's Gnome documentation.
>
> I agree however it would be nice to see some end-user
> Ubuntu system documentation accessible from the menus.
> I think that this would be a major bonus for new users
> to Linux, or just to Ubuntu. Such as how to set up a
> modem connection, how to install software etc. To me
> it's pretty obvious, but is it obvious to your
> Grandma?
>
> Ad
>
> --
>
> http://www.drinky.org.uk
>
> http://blog.drinky.org.uk

Well I have to admit that I probably have mistaken Gnome documentation
for Ubuntu but that's why I said the 'help' documents.  I did what any
newbie would do and clicked on the help icon on the desktop.  I
actually was not aware that it was purely Gnome stuff though as I'm a
dyed in the wool KDE lover.  Unashamedly so too :-)))  It works for
me.  I can use Gnome and get on with it but I really do prefer KDE.
I'm hoping one of the magazines will have a copy of Kubuntu on the
cover disc soon :-))))))

Hey, what more do you want?  I persevered and got Ubuntu up and
running and internet connected :-))))

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer