[Wolves] Disk errors

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 17:18:15 BST 2005

--- Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:

> Adam Sweet wrote:
> > During the process of my last post, I noticed a
> nasty
> > set of disk errors in my logs:
> >
> > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete
> > Error }
> > hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
> > LBAsect=48078696, high=2, low= 14524264,
> > sector=48078696
> >
> > Thankfully this is my Windows partition that I
> don't
> > use anymore but I was going to swap my /home
> partition
> > to it as it's a 5 month old 160GB disk. Am I about
> > lose the disk? Or would a format solve the issue,
> > meaning I can format it as ext3 (it's NTFS at the
> mo)
> > and not worry about losing data?
> >
> > Does anyone know if these are filesystem specific
> > errors, or are they the beginning of a hardware
> > failure? From my googling it sounds like hardware
> > errors, I'd just prefer a more experienced
> opinion.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Try a "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null bs=16k" and see
> if the error occurs
> again.  If it does again at the same location, you
> have a hard error on
> the disk at that location.. You can work around it
> with the mkfs -c
> option which will map out the bad blocks.

The example error was just one of many. dd crapped out
with:

dd: reading `/dev/hda': Input/output error

> If you get the same sort of error in a different
> location, you may have
> a disk drive that is on the way out.  Take a backup
> of everything important ASAP.

Yeah there are a whole list of these, about 70 lines,
most of them seem to be at the same 4 sectors.

> smartd might be useful here to monitor the drive. ;)

I'll back up my stuff, it's not all important. I think
I'll have a look at the returns policy too as it's
only about 5 months old.

Could this have been caused by heat? I lost another
disk around November/December and this was the
replacement. I noticed recently that I was having heat
problems and the disks were just about touchable. the
other problems have been resolved since I took the
side off the case.

What a pain in the arse.

Thanks Ron.

Ad