[Wolves] DVDs on Ubuntu

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue May 3 00:37:30 BST 2005

I rescued a Tosh Tecra laptop from an XP-induced early execution but I
haven't ever got the DVD working.

Ubuntu came with Totem (GStreamer). After adding the necessary bits and
pieces I had jerky video with broken-up sound. It was unwatchable.

I remembered Sparkes' recommendation of Mplayer so I tried that. It told
me to recompile with the debug option. In hope rather than expectation I
replaced the Gstreamer version of Totem by the Xine version. It works -
full screen DVDs with glitch-free sound and working menus. The only tiny
problem I've seen is a thin blue line down the left hand side of the
frame. I kept Mplayer too to listen to Kerrang! radio (thanks for the
tip Sparkes.)

What DVD software has anyone else seen working well on Ubuntu?

Woo