[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Tim Childe tim.childe.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:02:09 BST 2005

I beleive the windows (Win98SE) should all be there in tact.  I'll
check tonight when I have a boot disk to get to Linux.  Otherwise I'll
boot Ubuntu Live and see what I can find.....

Fortunately, after years working in IT, the partition that may have
gone is only OS and APPS - all my data is very safe, even if not
backuped up.

Tim.C

On 5/5/05, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2005 13:20, Tim Childe wrote:
>
> > At some point mw Windows (Dos) partition has decided that it is now an
> > UNKOWN type, and so won't boot.
>
> What version of Windows are you running?
>
> > Unfortunately, in an attempt to get windows back (linux being
> > expendable) I fdisk /mbr 'd my PC to remove grub and go back to single
> > boot.  Of course, this didn't work, which is when I realised it was a
> > change in the partition not a problem with GRUB.
>
> I would have thought that would fix it.
>
> > Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it must have been the grub-install
> > that screwed everything up.  But several places said to do this, so I
> > did.
>
> Should not have caused you any problems.
>
> > Anyone any idea how I can get my windows back (I can sort linux later)
>
> Have you got a Windows boot disk?
>
> You could try this http://www.startdisk.com/Web1/ubd/ubd.htm the ultimate boot
> disk.
>
> is the Windows partition still there or have you blown it away?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Peter Cannon.
> peter at cannon-linux.co.uk