[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 18:55:24 BST 2005

--- Tim Childe <tim.childe.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> and there's a perfect example of why I've given up
> on Linux in the past.
>
> All I tried to do was change the default boot option
> in Grub, and now
> I have nothing.
>
> Can't boot into anything at all !!!!!!
>
> At some point mw Windows (Dos) partition has decided
> that it is now an
> UNKOWN type, and so won't boot.

Boot from a live CD and mount the Linux / partition as
discussed before, something like

mkdir /mnt/hdb1
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

which means you should be able to poke around on the
disk. Double check absolutely that you told grub the
right partition to boot as default.

The list of bootable OSs starts at 0 and doesn't
include the ones commented out with the # symbol. I
think if you have a normal kernel, a recovery mode,
memtest and Windows, that would make Windows option 3.
If you have other options add the appropriate amount.

You may have accidentally given grub one too many (ie
a partition that doesn't exist, though grub-install
should catch this) or too few.

> Unfortunately, in an attempt to get windows back
> (linux being
> expendable) I fdisk /mbr 'd my PC to remove grub and
> boot.  Of course, this didn't work, which is when I
> realised it was a
> change in the partition not a problem with GRUB.
>
> Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it must have been
> the grub-install
> that screwed everything up.  But several places said
> to do this, so I did.

This is the accepted way of getting grub to write an
mbr. How that can damage a partition table I have no
idea. I'm really sorry this has happened.

> Anyone any idea how I can get my windows back (I can
> sort linux later)

Try a Windows boot floppy and see what fdisk thinks
the partitions are.

Not sure what else to say. Let us know how you get on.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.drinky.org.uk