[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:32:30 BST 2005

On 5/6/05, Tim Childe <tim.childe.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh how stupid I feel this morning !!  Of course it's the extended partition
> !!
> What a muppet !!!!!
>
> I'll plead extreme tiredness !!!!!
>
> Anyway, this idea that I may have hit hde1 instead of hde is quite likely -
> an easy typo to do.
>
> However, reinstalling grub won't help, I don't think, as I'm getting
> 'invalid media error' from a dos boot for the partition.  (It will get my
> linux back though, which is a start)
>
> Unless there is some sort of grub uninstall that will take it back off ??
>
> Anyway, must get back to teaching work !!
>
> Tim.C
>

>  On 5/6/05, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Just realised that this is confusing, it is now
> > edited. I've removed the > symbols where I edited.
> >
> > --- Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > If you mount your Ubuntu / partition /dev/hdf1 as
> > being on /mnt/hdf1 or whatever you like, the above
> > file would be at /mnt/hdf1/etc/fstab as it tacks the
> > hard disk on to the live CDs filesystem which is
> > entirely in RAM.
> >
> > > You could run grub-install again by editing
> > > /mnt/hdf1/boot/grub/menu.list and then running
> > >
> > > /mnt/hdf1/sbin/grub-install /dev/hde
> > >
> > > assuming /dev/hde is the boot drive in the BIOS,
> > > under
> > > Windows that would contain C:\ D:\ and E:\ etc if I
> > > remember your explanation correctly.
> >
> > If Woo is right and he might be (Woo - yeah. Woo -
> > yeah), is there a chance that you added a 1 to the end
> > of grub-install /dev/hde ? Making it write to the
> > Windows partition instead of the mbr? If fdisk /mbr
> > still leaves a grub thingy then it's possible.
> > Hopefully reinstalling grub as above will be solve
> > everything. Hopefully, the errant grub on /dev/hde1
> > will not have affected the Windows installation. If it
> > has, I don't know what to do about that, other than to
> > say, get your stuff off the disk, reinstall Windows
> > and reinstall grub as above. Don't do this until there
> > are not other options.
> >
> > Oh, yes I forgot, for some reason that Other Operating
> > Systems line counts as a grub entry. I'd forgotten all
> > about that I only had to deal with it once. Sorry, but
> > you figured that out yourself and it doesn't break
> > anything if you get it wrong and then change it.
> >
> > > Getting there ;)
> >
> > Ad again
> >
> > --

Right, I may be totally off the mark here but this is what I would do.
 First, is there anything on the disk that you absolutely cannot
afford to lose?  Is it possible to get at it via the Ubuntu Live CD?
Assuming you have everything saved that is important if it were me I
would first of all get hold of drive manufacturers tool disk.  These
are available from the drive makers website...usually.  Next step I
would use the tool disk to clean up and repair the MBR.  I would then
look at re-installing Windows over itself.

As I say, this is last ditch what I would try.  Once Win was up and
running again ( it was Win 98 wasn't it?  Because you'd have to
install that first prior to any Linux install; Win2k and XP are
different.) I'd then look at putting Linux back on again.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street