[Wolves] Times Ed - "Ditching Microsoft can save millions"

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:26:31 BST 2005

On 5/7/05, Deusiah <deusiah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good link Alan, thanks.
>
>  Andy that's great work! Let me know how it goes and yes, you'll have to
> steer them away from LRL :)
>

> On 5/7/05, Andy Wootton < andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Deusiah wrote:
> >
> > > Interesting info, how do you suggest we help schools do the decent
> > > thing though? Have some kind of Linux for Schools convention? lol
> >
> > Well it's funny you should say that...
> >
> > I hope I'll be helping a junior school in Coventry soon via work once my
> > police check comes through. I've got quite a bit of information
> > together over the last few weeks, including a Linux for Schools
> > convention. Once I sort out creating a new 'project folder' on the Wiki
> > with Rob, I'll start writing up my findings. After this article I think
> > there will be an increase in questions about Linux from the teaching
> > profession for a while.
> >
> > We'll just have to hope they don't find out about LUG Radio Live. I
> > think it might give a bad impression.
> >
> > Woo

I just hope that any schools who do save money don't get it taken from
them in the annual budget.  Pupils in Staffordshire have, on average,
£500 less each spent on them in education when compared to pupils in
other parts of the country.  It's an inequality that has gone on for
years with people far, far more knowledgable than I fighting to get it
sorted.  If they could do something then it might mean them taking on
more IT/ICT staff at my kid's local high school.  I'd be persuaded to
come out of my reluctant retirement and apply if only to evangelise on
Open Source :-)

My wife (she works at previously mentioned school) has seen a Red Hat
book knocking about though so perhaps there is hope...

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street