[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Tim Childe tim.childe.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 8 21:15:59 BST 2005

OK quick summary

2 HDD drives

1 paritioned C,D,E for windows
2 Ubuntu partitioned however it installed.

First everything worked OK.

Then I ran grub-install /dev/hde or possibly hde1 by mistake
After this windows (C) would not boot.

To get windows back and stuff linux I did the standard fdisk /mbr
Now grub was also gone, but the boot just went 'GRUB' where I wanted
Starting Windows95 etc

This is where I spotted C drive was unrecognised media Fail Retry Abort etc

I've since booted into recovery mode (ubuntu) and re run grub-install,
which has put me back near the start - ie Ubuntu works fine, boot
selecting Windows to boot gets 'Error 18'

>From Ubunto I can access all drives, and all data is still there,
including bootsect.dos, io.sys, ntdetect !! etc

The only other clue I have is that Win 98 Dos fdisk labels the c
partistion as system Unkown - but it have the type etc corretc, and
it's active etc.

Weird !!

Tim.C

ps thanks for all the help so far.