[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon May 9 09:18:59 BST 2005

On Sunday 08 May 2005 21:14, Tim Childe wrote:

> 2 HDD drives
>
> 1 paritioned C,D,E for windows
> 2 Ubuntu partitioned however it installed.
>
> First everything worked OK.

Ah I see the light.

Its a lazy fix (I'm famous for it ask Sparkes), but it will work, disconnect
the IDE lead for the Ubantu drive (2) then run fdisk /mbr and do an overlay
installation this should give you back the Windows bit.

I'm not an expert and don't know the the technical boot terms but I think I
know whats going on. Based on experiences with Red Hat and the three internal
HDD's I have in my machine I bet grub is installing on drive 2 therefore
fdisk /mbr will have no effect however if you disconnect drive 2 it will not
boot either this is because Grub writes to drive 1's boot sector, Quote:

"Hello mush Grub here the info you want for booting this system mate is on
drive 2"

So of course once fdisk /mbr is invoked your PC is now both blind and
speechless.

So, disconnect that lead (drive 2), run fdisk /mbr on disk 1 (C) I don't think
it will boot but give it a try stick your Windows disk in and do an overlay
install with disk 2 still disconnected, shut down, reconnect the disk 2 and
boot up again.

From here its up to you what course to take, personally I'd wipe disk 2 and
start again.

Good Luck.