[Wolves] Linux Format

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 12:28:46 BST 2005

On 5/9/05, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I invested £6.99 for the latest edition of Linux Format at the weekend, what a
> brilliant issue.
>
> I was engrossed in the Suse 9.3 article, it would appear Novell have made Suse
> change its policy slightly and has included the latest releases of KDE and
> Open Office.
>
> I must have it! anyone got £69.00 going spare?
>
> It was pleasing that the writer agreed with my thoughts that 9.2 is crap and
> if the article is correct it may well solve lots of problems people are
> having.
>
> I look forward to trying the new search features and other improvements
> they've made.
>
> The Mandriva 2005 Limited edition on the cover disk is excellent even if you
> just load it up to have a look you cant help but be impressed Ive seen the
> recent posts regarding schools and, in a nutshell, kids this has got to be
> the best choice for beginners.
>
> I loaded it up for my twins on Sunday and IMHO its GUI is targeted at the
> younger generation, my girls loved the huge Tux looking in from one side and
> the background wallpapers are just what younger kids like.
>
> I may have been looking at it from a biased way but it did look very girlie
> which in my case was ideal to encourage them to use it, we need more females.
>
> I don't buy it every month, works out a bit expensive plus you end up throwing
> them away due to lack of storage space, but on this occasion it was £6.99
> well spent. :-)
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Peter Cannon.
> peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
> Fedora Core 3 & Suse Pro 9.2
>
> "There is every excuse for not knowing
> there is no excuse for not asking"

I'm not so sure it is the best direction for SuSE though.  After all,
they've always been the ones who put out reliable secure distro's with
no or very few bugs.  As you say, look at 9.2...or preferably
don't...I still prefer 9.1  So, going for beta releases of software is
perhaps not good?

Then as you say, Mandriva (used to be Mandrake but they merged with
Conectiva - Brazilian distro - in case you were wondering...no, I
don't mean you Peter :-))  ) is looking good.  They have gone the
opposite way to SuSE and are now looking at stability over cutting
edge.  They've swapped places....

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer