[Wolves] New 'Linux in Schools' project on the LUG WIKI <- Page needs urgent attention...

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon May 9 17:01:33 BST 2005

Wayne Morris wrote:

> Must admit, this is the first time I've looked at Wiki, and doesn't
> this just show that its ok for a LAN or a password protected site, but
> isn't a open
> to all Wiki just trouble waiting to happen?

it's ok when you have enough people to maintain it but unfortunatly it's
pretty much just Rob and everyone else takes a look every couple of
months.  I think people who can need to make an effort to add info to
the wiki and do the odd bit of gardening to keep the spam down, that
includes me I keep promising myself I am going to help and never actuly
do anything :-(

> Apart from spambots, what if two people revise the same piece of info,
> who is 'right'?

whoever is last ;-) there are primtive measures to stop two edits at the
same time but if two people have different views on something then it's
common ettiquette to reach a consenus or else someone can come along
later and roll back the page and re-edit to include both versions.

Some wiki's have clever systems to merge diffs but they are a rare breed
based on software versioning method.

I think wiki's are a fantastic idea and an example of evolution in
motion but they are on the way to something and not that actual
something we just need to use them lots to discover what that something
is and if it's worth looking for, I watched hitchhikers guide today so
that examples the relative complexity of that last sentence but also
brings me to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/ which is an early example of
wikisms in effect.

sparkes